And the sound this week is~

a few of my easy listening favorites~

10 March 2008

Yikes, drugs in the water?!

(AP) -- A vast array of pharmaceuticals -- including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones -- have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows.

This is one of the headlines on CNN.com tonight! I thought, 'my stars!! drugs in our water now?!'. I've always felt there were more things in my drinking water than I even cared to know about, but drugs?! I just had to click on our state (the fair state of Alabama) to see what's been found at home. Nothing!! Our state is one of the clean states!! Not so for our neighbors in Georgia. Or, Atlanta to be exact.

I figured California would be running over with cities that have drug levels high enough to be found (and they were), but surprisingly to me was Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, which registered with 56 different drugs!! Did you read that? 56!! Kind of scary, isn't it? Apparently, according to the article, water treatment centers aren't effective on all drug types and even though the amounts are small, it is becoming a source of concern to doctors and scientists. Well, that's good. At least they're concerned. And Alabama WAS listed as a clean state, still ~ don't think that will make me want to drink shower water anymore.

No comments: